- Basmati Rice – 1 cup (rinse & soak in water for 15 mins)
- Onion – 1 medium size, thinly sliced
- Tomato – 1 medium size, finely chopped
- Ginger paste / minced – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste / minced – 1 tsp
- Cashewnuts – 5-6
- Lemon juice – 1tbsp
- Water – 1.5 cups
- Salt to taste
- Chopped carrots, beans &green peas – 1 cup (optional)
- Fresh spinach (palak) chopped – 2-3 cups
- Coriander leaves (cilantro) & Mint – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 2, slit lengthwise
- Cashewnuts – 3
Whole Spices to temper:
- Bayleaf – 1
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Cloves – 2
- Cardamom – 2,Cumin/fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp (depending on spice level as 2 green chillies are already added)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Biriyani masala – 1 tsp
- Grind all items under „To grind“ to a fine paste. Alternatively you can finely chop the greens if you prefer.
- Heat oil in a pan (or pressure cooker). once it is hot, add whole spices, cashews. Saute till cashews turn light golden.
- Add onions, brown it a bit. Add ginger-garlic paste, saute for 2-3 mins till the raw smell is gone.
- Add the spice powders, saute for a quick 1 min till the raw smell disappears. Be careful not to burn the spices.
- Add the ground paste or chopped greens, saute them for 1 min.
- Add tomatoes, cook for 2 mins till they turn soft.
- If adding vegetables, add them, saute for a min.
- Add Basmati Rice with water, salt & give a stir.
- If using electric rice cooker, add everything in the cooker, cook as usual. If using pressure cooker, cook for 2 whistles on medium flame. If cooking directly in a pot, cook on medium flame with closed lid, till done.
- After rice is cooked, add lemon juice, fluff it up gently. Serve with any Raita.