- All purpose flour – 195gm
- White sugar – 200gm (i replaced half with brown sugar)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted – 25gm
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Unsalted butter, melted – 75 gm
- Warm water – 240ml
- Instant coffee – 2 tsp
- Lemon juice (or vinegar) – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped – 170gm
- Heavy whipping cream (min 35% fat content) – 180 ml
- Unsalted Butter – 13gm
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- Butter or spray an 8 inch (20 cm) baking pan with a non stick cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk or stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix coffee in the warm water.
- Add this with melted butter, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Mix all the ingredients together until well blended.
- Pour the batter into your pan and bake in preheated oven for about 28 – 30 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 – 15 minutes before removing the cake from the pan.
- Chocolate Ganache:Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream and butter in microwave with 30 secs intervals. Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the cream over the chocolate and allow to stand for a few minutes. Stir until smooth, then let stand at room temperature until the Ganache has completely cooled and set to spreading consistency.
- Spread the Ganache on the top and sides of the cake.